Acts Chapter 6: Heart and Hands
The church continues to grow more and more. However, at the bringing of chapter 6, we see one of the church’s first congregational struggles. People are being overlooked and needs are not being met. The Apostles realized that they are not able to do everything thing themselves, they can’t devote themselves to preaching Christ and making sure all of the needs of the people are being met. They decide to have the church choose Godly men of faith and reputation, and they become the first deacons of the church. When we realize that our reputation effect and impacts our ability to witness, it changes how we ought to interact with people. Service and love lead us to have an opportunity to preach Christ.
Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty.Acts 6:3
Help me to be a light in the world! Help to love and serve the people around me so that I have the opportunity to tell more people about you. Allow my reputation to be one and let people know and see that you are working in my life.
- What kind of reputation do you think the church has to our community?
- What characteristics do you think of when you think of someone with a good reputation? Please explain?
- Why is it important to have a good reputation?
- Write down what kind of characteristics you would like others to see in you. (share with the group)
- What can you do to improve your reputation?
- Why do we help others?
- How can we help others?
- Write down what you are good at. (share with the group)
- How can you use these things as an opportunity to share the message of Jesus?
- What do you think the result of using our abilities to talk about Jesus will be?
Share Your Thoughts
- How can a reputation impact your abiblity to share the Gospel?
- What’s the benefit of having a good reputation?
- What do you think is the next step after loving and serving?
- In what way does this impact or change your thinking?
- Do you have any question over our study so far?